Friday, March 21, 2014

Clip from the great American novel (= work in progress)



“Any person taken into custody has the right to remain silent and must be informed that anything that he or she says may be used against him or her in court. You have the right to consult with an attorney and that attorney may be present during questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one for you at no cost.” He returns the card to his shirt pocket. “Do you understand your rights, Dr. Marshall?”
“I’m being arrested and taken somewhere for questioning?”
“It’s just a precaution, Dr. Marshall. Would you please sign this receipt?”
The other officer hands me a small clipboard with a form. By signing it, I’m acknowledging that I have indeed been read my Miranda rights. I sign and return the form; the officer, Michael Bradshaw, according to his name tag, signs it, passes the clipboard to Grimes, who also signs, then rips off the top copy. Mykala reaches around me and takes it. I didn’t realize she was standing there, listening.
“Do I get to put on my shoes?”
“One of us will accompany you, Dr. Marshall.” This is Grimes speaking. “Sorry about the snow, sorry about tracking water through your house, Mrs. Marshall, but we really don’t have a choice. We need to stay with you now. We assume you will come with us without having to be restrained.”
“He does not need to be restrained,” Mykala assures them, but then can’t resist adding “except maybe when he starts talking.”
“Anything he says may be used against him in court, Mrs. Marshall.”
“Just don’t get him started on fossils,” she warns; “or on the current state of American higher education.”

(Feel free to check out the Janovy books on smashwords.com, kindle, nook, and createspace.com; just do a search on the name and start buying. THE GINKGO: AN INTELLECTUAL AND VISIONARY COMING-OF-AGE is free from smashwords.com until mid-April.)

No comments:

Post a Comment